Good morning. The rate of vaccination across Asia is finally gaining ground, due mainly to China’s nearly 70 percent fully vaccinated population. It’s an important statistic to look after as more countries are looking to open up their borders once herd immunity is achieved. Our infographic this morning looks at the rate of full vaccinations across Asia’s key gaming jurisdictions.
What you need to know
- Melco Resorts & Entertainment said it will continue to explore opportunities in Japan after politics upended its efforts to obtain a license in Yokohama.
- Macau gross gambling revenue rose 6 percent week-on-week, although a new outbreak of Covid in China’s Fujian province is a concern, Bernstein says.
- Crown Resorts CEO Steve McCann says he’s prepared to show industry leadership with a policy considering mandatory vaccinations for all visitors/staff
- China is again putting pressure on Cambodia to stamp out online gambling in the country, which has continued to thrive despite a 2019 ban.
- MGM Resorts CEO Bill Hornbuckle has received “zero direct signal” that the restrictions imposed in China’s video games industry could make their way to Macau’s gambling industry.
On the radar
- India tech body suggests GST at 18% of platform fee for online gaming
- Grand Ho Tram allowed to reopen for domestic travellers from Sept. 15
- CCC has reportedly asked approval for an appropriation of $1 million “to keep the commission afloat.”
What the papers say
- China’s foreign exchange regulator has fined 10 people for their involvement in cross-border gambling activities.
The Covid-19 Delta strain has proven that despite strict lockdowns and border closures, it’s near impossible for countries to completely eliminate outbreaks. Until now, governments have dealt with the difficult balancing act between a country’s economy and its citizens’ health & safety.
We’re now beginning to see those who have been fervently chasing a “zero-Covid policy”, are working on plans to “live with the virus” instead. Our infographic today aims to highlight two points of interest. First, how far Asia has advanced in full vaccination. According to World in Data, Asia’s fully vaccinated population now sits at 1.48 billion.
- Galaxy Entertainment wins two accolades at IGA ceremony in London
- BBIN wins IGA 2021 Technology Supplier of the Year