Good Morning. All eyes continue on Thailand, with Daniel Cheng giving us a deep look into the implications the political shift in the country could have on its casino aspirations, as youthful politicians reshuffle the agenda. In Macau, legacy gaming operator SJM saw a return to positive EBITDA, despite underperformance from its Cotai Grand Lisboa Palace. Meanwhile, in the SAR, politicians have drafted a new law that includes digital currency, providing a possible avenue for the use of the digital yuan in gaming.
What you need to know
- Thailand’s election reshuffle sees the opposition rise to the front, with Daniel Cheng examining the possible impact on the country’s casino aspirations.
- SJM narrows its loss and sees a return to positive EBITDA, despite being dragged down by sub-par performance at its Grand Lisboa Palace property.
- Macau finishes drafting a new law that includes digital currency, providing a potential avenue for the use of the digital yuan in casinos.
On the radar
- Light & Wonder inks supply deal for Mohegan’s INSPIRE.
- PAGCOR remits $34.74mln to treasury on strong 2022 results.
- Fanatics Betting and Gaming to buy PointsBet US for $150 million.
- Entain’s Chief Governance Officer to retire.
- Macau’s economic climate recovering, but SMEs in trouble.
- APE 1Q23 revenue up 33.6% with loss narrowing to $485,000.
Stunning results from Thailand elections bode well for casinos
The votes are in and Thailand’s military-backed political parties were dealt a definitive blow, as opposition parties careened to victory, with the Move Forward Party surpassing the Shinawatra-backed Pheu Thai Party. In a special deep dive, Daniel Cheng looks at the possible impacts this wave of youthful politicians could have on the nation’s casino aspirations and wider tourism product implications for the country.
- Sands China enriches non-gaming with ‘Sands Performing Arts Program’.
G2E Asia Singapore 2023
- PopOK Gaming exhibits its latest gaming solutions at G2E Asia 2023.
- Atlas-IAC unpacks “no-risk” sportsbook with flagship stand at G2E Asia.
MEMBERSHIP | MAGAZINE | ASEAN | CAREERS