Sands China has cut more than 3,000 non-resident workers since the start of the pandemic to manage costs and maintain employment for its local workers, said company president Wilfred Wong

As reported by Macau Business, the president said the employee cuts were necessary in order to cope with the reduction in tourist numbers, with all 3,000 cut involving non-local workers. 

The president did not specify how many local workers were cut outside of this number but added that around 75 percent of its workforce currently are local residents. 

Earlier this month, Sands China told investors it has enough cash and cash equivalents to continue to operate for at least another 12 months (from December 31, 2021) under the current Covid-19 pandemic challenges.

The company also made mention of various mitigating measures to manage the current environment, including a cost and capital expenditure reduction program to minimize cash outflow for non-essential items.