Good morning. In today’s Face-to-Face interview, AGB editor Felix Ng sits down with Dr. Brett Abarbanel of UNLV. Dr. Abarbanel discusses the crossover between gambling games and traditional video games, and also gives thoughts on how skill-based gambling machines will evolve.
What you need to know
- Scientific Games has agreed to sell its lotteries business to Brookfield Business Partners for $6.05 billion as part of its strategy to focus on becoming a cross-platform gaming company.
- PAGCOR reported income from gaming operations of P22.27 billion in the nine months to end-September, some 16.5% below budget.
- IPI lawmaker has introduced new legislation that would allow for up to five casino licenses in Saipan, according to a report from Marianas Variety.
- Star Entertainment said the beginning of its fiscal 2022 year has been hit by Covid property shutdowns, but it has seen encouraging trends in Sydney.
- James Packer appeared via videolink on early Friday morning to give evidence at the Perth royal commission into Crown Resorts.
- Belle Corp, a co-licensee of Manila’s City of Dreams casino reported a 84% rise in net income for the first nine months of 2021.
On the radar
- Macau gaming tax revenue hits just 55% of budget in 9 months to Sept.
- Wakayama to begin public hearings on IR development from Nov. 25.
- U.K. online casino company Fruity King launches in New Zealand
- AGTech nine-month loss narrowed on China rebound
- Crown settles class action lawsuit for A$125 million
What the papers say
- AIGF says India’s booming online gaming industry suffers public perception problem
FACE TO FACE
Asia Gaming Brief editor Felix Ng sits down with Dr. Brett Abarbanel of UNLV. In this face-to-face talk, Dr. Abarbanel gives her thoughts on the cross-over between video games, gamification, and gambling games, and also gives her thoughts on how skill-based gaming machines are likely to evolve in the future.
- Loki has his eye on Asgard’s throne: Play’n GO