Good morning. The SBC Summit in Barcelona took place last week, attracting around 2,000 attendees and 100 exhibitors. In today’s special report, AGB managing editor Sharon Singleton wraps up some of the most striking discussions and themes covered over the two-day conference.
What you need to know
- Gambling spend during the most recent Covid lockdowns in Sydney and Melbourne far exceeds the peak seen last year and points to a potential permanent shift in behaviour.
- Macau announced two more imported Covid cases and designated two further areas of the city as “yellow zones,” casting further doubt over Golden Week prospects.
- MGM Resorts on Tuesday confirmed that along with its joint-venture partner Orix, it has been selected by Osaka as the region’s integrated resort partner.
- IGT is reportedly readying a digital wallet solution for trial in a NSW venue.
On the radar
- PAGCOR approves P34.64m grant to Casino Filipino host cities to offset Covid losses
- India’s Delta Corp plans to raise up to $50 million to expand online operations
- LRWC unit launches sports betting system as Philippines rolls out online gaming
- Vietnam confirms it is moving away from a “Zero Covid” strategy
What the papers say
- Sihanoukville to take action against hotels and casinos using forced labour.
- Number of employees in Macau’s gaming and junket industry increased in Q3.
New technologies are driving convergence between media, entertainment and online gaming and the Covid lockdowns may have accelerated this trend. The gaming industry is attracting a more recreational and casual audience of players, which creates enormous opportunities, according to speakers at the SBC Summit in Barcelona. The two-day event attracted about 100 exhibitors and about 2,000 attendees. The conference program had a strong focus on innovation and how external forces are shaping new product development. It also explored how data and A.I. will be key in developing the hyper-personalised offering that the consumer of the future will demand.
- Pragmatic Play adds another boost to QTech Games’ premier platform
- Habanero brings the circus to town with latest hit Fly!