Good Morning. There’s an emerging video games genre called “gashapon”, which is skating a fine line between video games and gambling. These so-called games use loot boxes as a major feature of their gameplay, but does not set off any gambling laws as they don’t have any “cash-out” feature. We spoke to Hai Ng about what makes these games so popular, and why our industry needs to take note of their successes.
What you need to know
- Genting’s RWLV is seeing a ramp-up in occupancy and has been cash-flow positive since it opened last year despite the challenges brought by Covid, property president Scott Sibella said.
- Macau’s average daily revenue was up 3 percent in the week to April 10th, compared with the prior week, but remains at its lowest level since October 2021, Bernstein said.
- The New York Supreme Court has dismissed a case brought by Bangladesh Bank against Bloomberry Resorts for lack of jurisdiction.
- Star Entertainment’s chief legal and risk officer Paula Martin is set to resume the witness stand today (Tuesday) after commencing her testimony on Monday.
- Guangzhou has just become the next major Chinese city to tighten Covid restrictions after reporting 27 new cases on Monday, up from 11 cases a day earlier.
On the radar
- Macau 1Q22 industry EBITDA to decline QoQ, says Morgan Stanley
- PAGCOR hands over $115.2m to government, says industry recovering.
- IGT agrees to buy iSoftBet for EUR160m to expand digital offering.
- New York greenlights three casinos; GGR seen at $4.8b: CBRE.
- ICE London makes its return after 26 months of hiatus.
Jamie Nettleton and Brodie Campbell
What the papers say
- Downfall of Macau junket king rocks Asia Pacific gambling world.
- Macau only allows imported labor to fix temporary lack of local workers.
- China ends 9 month video gaming license freeze.
Hai Ng, partner of Neomancer talks with Asia Gaming Brief about an emerging video game genre called “gashapon games,” and how it uses a mix of RNG, great content, and captivating gameplay to keep players engaged, and how we can apply this to the real money gambling space.
- Esports Technologies signs on as sponsor for ASEAN 2022.
- Galaxy Entertainment supports World Autism Awareness Day.
- Sportradar buys AI specialist Vaix Ltd: Terms not disclosed.
- AXES acquires cloud media management platform.