Good Morning. After two years of being battered by lockdowns and quarantine, it’s beginning to look like Asia’s back on the travel cards. Today, there are more gaming jurisdictions open to quarantine-free travel than those that aren’t. Some don’t even need a pre-departure negative PCR test. Today’s infographic will give you a quick snapshot into which countries are open for travel without quarantine. Happy travels!
What you need to know
- MGM China first-quarter market-wide GGR was down by 25% while daily GGR was at 25% of 2019 fourth-quarter pre-pandemic level.
- Macau’s GGR was 89 percent below its pre-pandemic levels in April, marking the worst month since the border reopened with China in September 2020.
- A Macau court has ruled in favor of Las Vegas Sands in a multi-billion dollar court case brought by Asian American Entertainment Corp.
- Genting Singapore said it has appointed its president and COO, Tan Hee Teck, as its new CEO and has also made changes to its board committees.
- Star Entertainment CFO Harry Theodore has said that a clause that would indemnify a banking partner from losses in cases of a breach in the law was “concerning.”
- Donaco International said operating conditions remained challenging in the most recent quarter and it’s exploring options to protect its balance sheet until the environment improves.
- Melco Resorts & Entertainment is the worst-performing of Macau’s gaming stocks year-to-date and a merger, either with parent Melco International Development or its Studio City unit would unlock value for shareholders, Bernstein said.
On the radar
- MGM Resorts expands online with $607m acquisition of LeoVegas.
- Vietnam tourist arrivals jump 41% in March as borders reopen.
- Chinese casino developer fined $464k for Fiji environmental pollution.
What the papers say
- China passenger traffic during May break seen down 62% due to Covid.
BY THE NUMB3RS
Earlier this month, the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) ran its 21st annual conference in Manila, Philippines, gathering more than a thousand delegates from across the global travel and tourism sector. It’s a significant milestone for Asia, and particularly the Philippines, and a sign that after two years of being battered by lockdowns and quarantine, borders are starting to open up again.
- AXES.ai announces launch of its Sovereign land-based cashless platform.
- Pragmatic Play donates GBP100,000 to British Red Cross to aid Ukraine.