Macau gaming concessionaire Galaxy Entertainment Group (GEG) issued a statement on Monday to clarify that the firm is “not considering re-entering Boracay of the Philippines to develop a resort.”
The statement aims to respond to the calls by its former project partner to revamp the cancelled project.
Galaxy Entertainment emphasizes that “our recent focus is on the full reopening of Macau, ramping up our recently launched Phase 3, and the construction of Phase 4.”
The founder of the former Leisure and Resorts World Corporation (LRWC), Alfredo Benitez, told media last week that he intends to proceed with the stalled $500 million casino resort on Boracay Island in the Philippines, alongside gaming partner Galaxy Entertainment.
Benitez said that LRWC—since rebranded to DigiPlus Interactive Corp., is urging Galaxy Entertainment to return to the table and commence the project. DigiPlus noted it was testing the “comfort level” of Galaxy Entertainment, asking “what will it take for you to come back in again?”
However, GEG mentions that its own plans are “contrary to some recent media reports.”
After the reopening of Macau borders in January this year, Galaxy has been active in pushing forward its development path within the SAR.
According to a note released in July by HSBC, Galaxy Entertainment is looking to bring forward its original 2027 timeline for its full fit-out by one to two years.
Phase 4 is seen as more lifestyle-focused and is likely to open in 2025.