Good morning. When it comes to land-based casinos, all eyes have been on cashless technology this year, says tech guru Earle Hall, CEO of AXES.ai. However, what many don’t realise is that it’s not actually about cash (or lack of it) at all. In today’s Deep Dive, Hall explains what you may be getting cashless wrong.
What you need to know
- Macau’s non-gaming spending is likely to return to pre-pandemic levels by 2025, although the overall number of visitors may still be short.
- Jeju’s ailing foreigner-only casinos should introduce online gambling and use technologies such as cryptocurrencies, a casino policy forum heard.
- Malaysia is considering opening its borders to international travellers on January 1 next year in a bid to accelerate the country’s economic recovery.
- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen has decided to waive the quarantine requirement for fully vaccinated tourists starting on November 15.
On the radar
- Wynn Resorts abandons merger of interactive unit with Austerlitz.
- Melco reports near 95% vaccination rate for Macau staff.
- Staff at Crown Perth felt they could not speak up about bad behavior.
- Hoiana to welcome first U.S. tourists as Vietnam reopens borders.
What the papers say
- Win a billion lotto jackpot ready to roll in the Philippines, pending approval.
- Culture chief confident Macau Grand Prix to draw 30,000 visitors.
- Wakayama holds referendum about IR in Marina City.
If the latest G2E Las Vegas conference is anything to go by, it is that more land-based casino operators have been contemplating the adoption of cashless than ever before. It’s a romantic concept being sold to casino operators as a way to introduce a frictionless transfer of funds from bank account to slot machine and vice versa. However, Earle Hall, CEO of AXES.ai, a company that has been doing cashless in more than 40 countries, says that the concept of “cashless” shouldn’t be about cash at all.
- PAGCOR grants P49.9m to Bicol Medical Center as CSR efforts continue.
- QTech Games harvests more premium content with eBET.