Good Morning. What a difference a week or so makes. Before Christmas, Asia was looking at a brighter 2022, with many jurisdictions tentatively beginning to reopen their borders. Then came Omicron and the picture, at least for now, is very different. This morning we bring you a few of the major new restrictions and changes to border opening plans across the region.
What you need to know
- The opening of Genting Malaysia’s SkyWorlds theme park has been delayed again to coincide with the Chinese New Year in February, which is likely to be positive for the operator, according to Maybank.
- Hong Kong’s latest round of restrictions to pose a downside risk to projections for economic growth of 3 percent this year and will delay border reopening with China until 2H22.
- The Philippines Court of Appeals has dismissed a charge of embezzlement levelled against Japanese mogul Kazuo Okada and his associate, Takahiro Usui, according to media reports.
On the radar
- MGTO expects 40,000 visitors during CNY Golden Week.
- Macau restricts large gatherings, CNY banquets, to curb Covid spread.
- GKL Gangnam casino closure extended to Monday for Covid cleaning.
What the papers say
- New York online sports betting GGR estimated at $667m – Vixio.
- China orders Covid testing for 14 million residents in Tianjin.
- Australia’s daily covid cases surpass 100,000 for the first time.
Restrictions tighten across Asia as Omicron spreads
2022 is Towards the end of 2021, many of Asia’s jurisdiction has begun tentative plans to reopen their borders for travel to boost their local tourism industries, however, a few short weeks later the rapid surge in the Omicron variant has slammed the brakes on those plans, leaving the industry in limbo. Events are moving swiftly and new restrictions are being announced almost on a daily basis, though we are bringing you some of the more significant changes to travel and quarantine rules that have been announced across the region.
- Melco Resorts & Entertainment promotes responsible gambling culture.
MEMBERSHIP | MAGAZINE | ASEAN | CAREERS