Good Morning. The social stigma attached to responsible gaming and self-exclusion is the single largest inhibitor to its success, particularly amongst gamblers from Asian communities, says RG and mental health expert Dr. Anastasia Hronis. In today’s Face-to-Face interview, we ask Dr. Hronis what work needs to be done to destigmatize responsible gaming, and what staff need to take into account when approaching patrons on the gaming floor about their play.
What you need to know
- Star Entertainment general legal counsel Oliver White has conceded that business concerns may have dominated compliance requirements at the group’s Sydney casino.
- South Korea’s casinos have shed workers over the past two years as Covid lockdowns and border closures have crippled revenue.
- Macau’s economy is expected to expand by 19 percent in 2022 as inbound tourism from China picks up in the second half, according to a note from Fitch Ratings.
On the radar
- RIC records fourth straight year of loss in 2021, despite revenue boost.
- Melco Resorts CEO Lawrence Ho gets $15.2m share incentive.
- Sportradar launches new integrity tool to help industry tackle match-fixing.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines to auction NFTs to commemorate ship launch.
- Caesars revises terms for William Hill asset sale, to take $327m less upfront.
- Mohegan Gaming appoints Nelson Parker as SVP strategic development.
- Aquis loses director as HK lockdown makes involvement challenging.
Carlos D. Simões assisted by Paulo Rowett
What the papers say
- Genting Malaysia wants to renew share buyback authority at upcoming AGM.
FACE TO FACE
During an in-person conference for regulators in Sydney last month, several RG experts argued the importance of messaging to take the social stigma out of responsible gambling. In this week’s Face-to-Face, we speak to Dr. Anastasia Hronis, clinical psychologist and founder of the Australian Institute for Human wellness and an expert in mental health and addiction about where this stigma comes from, particularly amongst Asian cultures, and how operators can better deal with this on the gaming floor.
- Soft2Bet launches new platform to improve aggregation capabilities.
- Comtrade’s gCore Cloud to help smaller and new-to-market game vendors.
- Play’n GO releases sequel of iconic slot, Moon Princess.
- QTech Games strengthens platform with Print Studios for Asia.