Good morning. Earlier this month, Macau’s six gaming operators filed their second quarter results for 2021, rounding off a three-month period of mixed fortunes. In today’s By The Numb3rs infographic, we take a look at how VIP and mass-market shares shifted in the quarter compared to 2019, and some of the company’s key messages from their earnings calls. See it here.
What you need to know
- Macau is relaxing its border measures with Guangdong, though air traffic remains low and is only expected to pick up in October.
- Macau GGR in the week to August 22 rose 55 percent from the prior week, but the month will see deterioration from July.
- MGTO director Helena Fernandes is expecting around 25,000 visitors per day during the Golden Week holidays, which would be an increase from 2020.
- New Zealand has extended its lockdown to Aug 27 and the Auckland lockdown to August 31, with casino operators unsure when they can reopen.
- Genting Singapore remains a “buy” for analysts at Nomura, despite its hopes for an IR license crushed by the election of an anti-casino mayor in Yokohama.
On the radar
- SkyCity’s Murray Jordan is going to be resigning from the company’s board
- SG acquires Sideplay to expand digital lottery content
- Pragmatic Play launches fishing game for Asia
What the papers say
- State gov’t extends Goa Covid curfew until Aug 30, casinos to remain closed.
- Qantas to give 10 vaccinated travellers free around-the-world flights.
- IPI served with USDOJ complaint over yacht incident and removal costs.
- Richard Sheppard ups shareholding in The Star by one-fifth.
- PH budget department submits PHP5.02 trillion 2022 budget to Congress.
- A HK policeman is facing 2.5 years jail for operating an illegal poker den.
BY THE NUMB3RS
Gaming product manufacturers may be required to make changes to the products that they offer in Australia as a result of recent royal commissions into Crown Resorts. This was just one of many changes expected for the wider
In August, Macau’s six gaming concessionaires and sub-concessionaires filed their second-quarter results, rounding off a three-month period of mixed fortunes.
Compared to pre-pandemic second-quarter results (2019), we can begin to see a clearer picture of how their relative market shares in VIP and mass have changed in the last quarter. We round up some of those shifts as well as the company’s key messages in their earnings calls.