Good Morning. AGB’s recent article on “where did skill-based slots go?” was well received, though more than a few questions were raised that needed answers. In today’s Face-to-Face interview, AGB editor Felix Ng speaks to Michael Darley, CEO of skill-based slots supplier Next Gaming about what happened to skill-based slots during the pandemic, and more importantly, where he sees skill-based slots sitting on the casino floor in ten years’ time.
What you need to know
- Bloomberry Resorts & Entertainment said it has agreed to buy $144 million of land to build a third integrated resort in the Philippines.
- Suncity Group Holdings executive director Andrew Lo is the new majority shareholder in the group after former CEO Alvin Chau offloaded his stake.
- Universal Entertainment has been upgraded by Fitch on expectations for a modest recovery in its Okada Manila property in the Philippines.
- China’s digital RMB could become an essential part of a cashless gaming infrastructure in Macau, says analysts from Bernstein, noting that the process could potentially be more streamlined than jurisdictions that aren’t working off a centralized digital currency.
On the radar
- Star Entertainment says L1 Capital has upped stake to 7.34%
- Meghalaya to restrict casinos to area close to state border.
- Okada Manila chairman Manuel Lazaro dies, aged 87.
Earlier this month, Asia Gaming Brief reached out to two skill-based slot manufacturers to understand what happened to skill-based slots after all the hype that surrounded them in 2019. We also wanted to find out about their experience as slot providers during the lengthy pandemic. In today’s Face-to-Face interview, Asia Gaming Brief editor Felix Ng further explores some of the issues raised in the article with Michael Darley, CEO of Next Gaming. We discuss Next Gaming’s experience during the Covid-19 pandemic, and whether this was any different to the traditional video reel industry. We also discuss where he sees skill-based slots fitting in the casino floor of today, compared to where they will be in ten years time.
- Melco Resorts launches family-friendly Super Fun Zone at Studio City.
- Play’n GO releases farming themed slot Animal Madness.