Good morning. As more countries begin to reopen their borders, the global tourism industry is seeing a gradual uptick of international outbound travel and expenditure. That being said, Asia’s still lagging behind, largely due to a slower rollout of vaccines and border openings. Today’s infographic looks at some of the key trends in Asian and international tourism so far in 2021, whilst the accompanying write up discusses some of the predictions from experts for the year ahead.
What you need to know
- Macau gross gambling revenue fell 18 percent week-on-week in the second week of November, despite stable visitation, due to “very low” VIP hold, Bernstein Research said.
- Melco Resorts & Entertainment held a topping out ceremony for its $1.3 billion Studio City Phase 2 project, which it says is on track to open by the end of next year.
- A group of citizens in Wakayama is seeking to gather enough signatures to petition for a referendum on plans to host an IR in the city.
- SkyCity Entertainment told investors on Monday that it expects to reopen its Hamilton property on Nov. 17, and that its flagship Auckland property is likely to reopen sometime in late November and early December.
On the radar
- Suntrust unit posts wider loss, says Manila construction on track for 2023.
- Scientific Games says Kascada/Coin Combo to make Asia debut late 2021.
- Microgaming names Andrew Clucas as CEO, sale of Quickfire business.
What the papers say
- Malaysia’s Kedah state bans gambling, won’t renew lottery licenses.
- Catholiic Church leaders in Philippines express disgust over e-sabong bill.
- IPI and Sardini Group petition for protective order to prevent information disclosure in lawsuit.
BY THE NUMB3RS
As we reach the end of 2021, travel to destinations within Asia and the Pacific continues to be challenged, according to data from the October update of the UNWTO Tourism Recovery Tracker. Today’s infographic highlights some of the key trends picked up by the tourism tracker.
- Openbox Gaming offers gateway to Asia.
- FUN88 renews partnership with Tottenham Hotspur in Asia and LATAM.