Good morning. Authorities in Macau have locked down a zone of the city, after a family of four local residents were infected with the Delta variant of the coronavirus, prompting the city to apply “immediate prevention” measures on Tuesday, including mandatory testing of the entire population by August 7th.
What you need to know
- SJM Resorts said 1H21 revenue rose 19.4 percent from the same time a year earlier, led by the mass market as visitation gradually resumed.
- Shares in Macau operators sold off Tuesday on news of local Covid cases, but Bernstein analysts say the outbreak is not a game-changer.
- Macau government sets up “red zones,” implements lockdowns after four local cases are discovered ending a 480-day Covid-free streak.
- Bloomberry Resorts said Solaire 2Q21 gross gambling revenue fell 18%, but the company was EBITDA-positive due to cost cutting and high hold.
- A former judge, who is running a Royal Commission inquiry into Crown Resorts, rejected claims that 12,500 jobs would be at risk if it lost its license.
- Caesars Entertainment led by its Las Vegas operations, returned to profitability in 2Q21 despite dealing with restrictions for the first two months.
On the radar
- IGT is raising its 2021 outlook after posting strong 2Q21 results.
- TransAct Technologies saw its casino market sales grow 155% in 2Q21.
- Crown execs Helen Coonan, Xavier Walsh will be pushed out by August end.
What the papers say
- Crown Perth paid for a WA’s casino regulator’s trip to Macau, says inquiry.
- HK police have arrested 824 in a $463 million Euro 2020 gambling ring bust.
- Landing Casino is working with a labor union to improve employee welfare.
While developments in Japan’s land-based gaming market move ahead at a snail’s pace, the online market continues to expand, attracting an increasing number of overseas players. According to estimates, the growth over the past year has seen average levels of spend per active player trending well ahead of European benchmarks, with some European brands growing revenue by more than 150 percent last year.
Supplier Special Report
The FUZION system from JCM Global (JCM) continues to evolve and now has an even greater and more positive impact on real-time peripheral management, boosting the efficiency, security, and profitability of casino operations.
Authenticity is key for esports fans. This means operators looking to reach that fan base will need to tailor their betting products around their preferences, whether that’s data-driven content, professional players, or influencers in the sector.