Good morning. As we continue to explore the issue of company mandated vaccinations, we sit down today with Annamarie Rooding, a business ethics and employment lawyer based in Australia. Rooding answers some of the most frequently asked questions by companies about mandatory vaccinations. She suggests that an education, encouragement-led approach will be more effective and less risky, and that companies should avoid blanket mandates.
What you need to know
- Crown Resorts swings into the red for FY21 and says current closures in Sydney and Melbourne are costing as much as $8.4 million a week in EBITDA losses.
- NagaCorp has swung to a loss in 1H21 as Covid closed the resort for all but two months of the period, but the operator remains upbeat about prospects.
- Century Entertainment said it expects the Dara Sakor casino in Cambodia to open in October and that cash flow from the tables will cover operating costs.
- Japan’s Nagasaki prefecture has signed a master agreement for an IR with Casinos Austria, which it says will revitalize the local economy.
- Success Universe,the operator of Ponte 16 in Macau, has managed to reduce its operating loss in 1H21 by 60% despite registering a near-90 percent drop in revenue.
- Tony Fung has retired as the Chairman of Casino Canberra operator Aquis Entertainment, citing the “appearance of a conflict of interest”.
On the radar
- Macau is opening a new border with Zhuhai on Sept. 8th.
- Hotel guest numbers in Macau up 48% month-on-month in July.
- Macau airport is relaxing the validity period of nucleic acid test to 7 days.
- PAGCOR seeks legal advice after audit commission report.
- NagaCorp resumes Primorye construction, chooses Russian contractors.
- BetMGM, PointsBet, WynnBET sign sportsbook with NFL.
- Shun Tak Holdings 1H21 swings to positive but still no dividends attributed.
What the papers say
- Wynn Taps Shaq, Ben Affleck in $100 Million Push for Sports-Bet App
- More than 1,000 sign petition protesting Saipan e-gaming fee hike.
Annamarie Rooding says that companies need to move away from the idea of “blanket” vaccine mandates in their organizations, given the legal, ethical and social minefield that awaits companies going down that route.
In today’s podcast, Annamarie chats with Asia Gaming Brief editor Felix Ng about some of the murkier issues relating to mandatory vaccinations. We learn that companies are in quite a difficult position right now, and need to tread very carefully to ensure their employees feel safe, yet have the freedom to make their own decisions.