Contractors will move back onto the burned-out and damaged site of SkyCity’s $900 million International Convention Centre from Tuesday next week to restart work.
Demolition work on the upper floors and roof of SkyCity’s partly built seven-story convention center in downtown Auckland began in late January following a disastrous fire in late October 2019, but work was suspended when the coronavirus lockdown began on 25 March.
At the time about 200 workers were removing damaged material from the roof and other materials from floors five, six, and seven of the building.
Now that lockdown restrictions have been eased somewhat effective from Tuesday the contractor, Fletcher Construction, says it will begin bringing back staff onto the site.
“Fletcher Construction is taking a staged approach to returning to work across its sites following the Government lockdown with an emphasis on ensuring the health and safety of its staff,” a spokeswoman said.
The project had already been delayed even before the fire and the lockdown and whether the latest revised target date of December 2023 will be achieved is still not confirmed. Discussions between Fletchers and SkyCity are continuing.
Meanwhile, SkyCity is looking to restart work on renovations to some of its VIP gaming spaces and a new food court in Auckland which were underway before the lockdown. A spokeswoman confirmed that the company would not be opening any of its venues under Alert Level 3.