Three casinos trial facial recognition systems

R

At least three casinos are reportedly testing facial recognition systems inside their premises, according to Macau’s gaming regulator.

“Currently, two or three casinos are testing. During their operations, they have to strictly obey the personal data protection law,” said Paulo Martins Chan, the director of the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ). 

When asked by local media whether these systems will be used to enforce the gaming worker entry ban, Chan said the government needed more time to study the situation.

“I think it will take time for the parties involved to comprehend the personal data protection law. If possible, at the preliminary stage, [the system] will be used on a small scale in a few places. Then we will be able to see how the laws can oversee the use of the equipment.”

At the moment, facial recognition systems are only to be used for security purposes, said Chan. 

SHARE
Previous articleCyprus Casinos opens third satellite casino
Next articleCambodia MOEF Secretary of State to open Mekong Gaming Summit

Related Articles

VIP baccarat accounts for 48% of Macau Q3 GGR

VIP baccarat revenue was up 51 percent quarter-on-quarter and made up almost 48 percent of the revenue for the quarter, while mass market revenue jumped 77 percent from Q2, accounting for 38 percent overall, according to government figures.

Adriano Ho moves into DICJ role on June 10

The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau’s incoming director, Adriano Ho, is set to officially take office on June 10, according to local reports citing Macau secretary for Economy and Finance Lei Wai Nong. Last week it was reported that Adriano Ho would be taking over the role of DICJ director from Paulo Martins Chan, who […]

Paulo Martins Chan to step down as DICJ boss

Paulo Martins Chan will be stepping down from his position as the head of the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau in June, to be replaced by Adriano Marques Ho, an advisor to Secretary for Security Wong Sio Chak, according to a report from Macau News Agency.  Sources told MNA that Chan will return to the […]

DICJ asks operators to reinforce preventative measures

The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) has asked its local gaming operators to reinforce preventive measures in their casinos, amid the outbreak of the coronavirus in Mainland China, local media reports.  According to Chinese authorities, the death toll from the new virus rose to six, with 258 confirmed cases recorded so far.  The Macau […]

VIP gaming revenue down 23.1% in 19Q4: DICJ

VIP gaming revenue’s share of Macau gross gaming revenue decreased year-on-year in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to data released by the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau.  VIP gaming revenue, represented by VIP baccarat, fell 23.1 percent year-on-year to MOP32.3 billion (US$4 billion), with the year-on-year not as far as analysts had been expecting.  […]

Govt to ignore gaming equipment reversion clause

The Macau government is set to ignore a clause in the concession contract of SJM and MGM, which requires the companies to hand over casino and gaming equipment to the government in March next year. According to a report from Gambling Compliance, under the concession contract, each of Macau’s concessionaires is required to ‘automatically revert’ […]

Illegal online gambling difficult to eradicate: Chan

The director of the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau said it is difficult for authorities to “completely eradicate” illegal online gambling operators, as servers are usually hosted outside its jurisdiction and target gamblers from mainland China, Macau Business reports.  “What we can is to do propaganda to raise awareness and inform that it is illegal… […]