Singapore’s two integrated resorts have restricted public access to the casinos to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
From midnight Thursday, Marina Bay Sands and Resorts World Sentosa said that only annual levy holders would be permitted entry. At MBS, Sands Rewards Club (SRC) members holding Gold status or higher will be allowed access whereas at RWS entry is limited to existing Genting Rewards card members.
“We apologise in advance to other would-be patrons who will not be permitted access to the casino, but seek their understanding that it is a necessary measure,” MBS said.
In addition, both properties have taken steps to ensure that there is not more than one person per 16 square metres of usable space.
MBS said staff will be in place across the casino to ensure that patrons abide fully with the safe distancing requirements.
“These new measures are in addition to initiatives that had already been in place in the casino as a result of the COVID-19 situation, such as opening and closing alternate areas/game types to reduce crowding, and significantly increasing cleaning and disinfection,” it added.
Staff have also been rotating more regularly on the gaming floor, effectively reducing extended contact with individuals.
Singapore had early success in fighting the disease, but has recently seen figures rise due to cases imported from elsewhere. On Thursday, the government reported 52 new cases, with 28 of those generated by people returning from travel overseas.