President Rodrigo Duterte has no plans to abolish the Philippine Charity and Sweepstake Office even though the agency has been accused of “massive corruption,” said a Palace spokesperson on Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said that the President is only ridding the agency of corruption.
“We were not talking of closure of this agency. We’re talking of stopping massive corruption,” said Panelo in a press briefing.
Last week, Duterte ordered the closure of all PCSO gaming activities, including lottery. More than 30,000 outlets were shut down on the weekend.
However, lotto ban was lifted on Wednesday after Executive Secretary Salvador C. Medialdea said that investigators found no anomalies in the conduct of lotto operations.
Still, PCSO General Manager Royina Garma said the agency has lost P250 million (US$4.9 million) in Lotto revenues alone since Duterte’s order to close all PCSO gaming activities.
The ban on other PCSO activities will remain in place until the government finishes its investigation, said Panelo.
Duterte assured the public that he would name all the players in the alleged corruption “in due time.”