MGM reaches settlement for 2017 mass shooting

MGM Resorts on Thursday agreed to pay up to $800 million to victims of the 2017 mass shooting outside its Mandalay Bay Casino & Resort in Las Vegas. 

On October 1, 2017, a gunman on the 32nd floor of the MGM-owned Mandalay Bay opened fire on a crowd of concert-goers, killing 58 and injuring hundreds. 

Lawyers representing survivors and victims wanted MGM to be held liable for negligence, as the shooter was able to enter the hotel with luggage containing an arsenal of firearms. 

Under the settlement agreement, the parties will dismiss and release all pending litigation against MGM Resorts.

However, MGM notes that the proposed settlement is not an admission of liability by MGM Resorts.

According to people familiar with the case, the settlement will see more than 4,000 survivors and relatives of those killed would be eligible for payments through a victim’s compensation fund, with the payout process expected to be completed by late 2020. 

The settlement is one of the largest of its kind. Experts say large settlements in mass shootings are rare in part because it can be difficult to hold parties responsible for the criminal acts of individuals. 

Last year, MGM came under fire for aggressively trying to avoid liability by countersuing victims, not to seek monetary compensation, but protection from their legal actions.

The company cited a 2002 federal act that extends liability protection to any company that employs its own “anti-terrorism” technology or services that can “help prevent and respond to mass violence.”

MGM has argued that the hiring of a security vendor, Contemporary Services Corp., was protected from liability as its services had been certified by the Department of Homeland Security for “protecting against and responding to acts of mass injury and destruction.”

However, Las Vegas attorney Robert Eglet, who represented a number of the victims, said the grounds of litigation are “obscure”.

The company appears to have adopted a change of tune on Thursday, with MGM Resorts Chairman and CEO Jim Murren saying that “prolonged litigation around these matters is in no one’s best interest. It is our sincere hope that this agreement means that the scenario will be avoided.”

“Our goal has always been to resolve these matters so our community and the victims and their families can move forward in the healing process. This agreement with the Plaintiffs’ Counsel is a major step, and one that we hoped for a long time would be possible,” he said. 

The settlement fund will be funded by MGM Resorts’ insurers with a minimum of $735 million.

SHARE
Previous articleBringing Back Fun
Next articleBetting Trends and Opportunities

Related Articles

MGM ranks 107 in world’s best employers list

MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) was ranked No. 107 on Forbes' list of 750 World's Best Employers for 2020, the only company on the Las Vegas Strip to make the list.

MGM Resorts upsizes notes offering to US$750 million

MGM Resorts said it has upsized a public note offering from $500 million to $750 million and will use the proceeds to refinance existing debt and for general corporate purposes.

MGM to lay off 18,000 furloughed workers

MGM Resorts began laying off 18,000 furloughed workers on Monday as the impact of the pandemic drags on.

The Osaka Yumeshima IR loses its inevitability

A year ago there were many things uncertain about IR development in Japan, but if there was one thing you could depend upon—one prediction that could be made with near total confidence—it was that the man-made island of Yumeshima in Osaka Bay was destined to become host to one of the biggest and grandest IRs in the world. 

MGM not committed to Osaka IR investment

In an earnings conference call held at the end of last week, MGM President and CEO Bill Hornbuckle revealed that his firm was not committed to moving forward with its multi-billion dollar IR investment at Yumeshima, Osaka. “There are a great deal of things to be worked out there,” Hornbuckle stated, “and we’ll only make […]

MGM reports US$1 billion in operating losses for Q2

MGM Resorts International has reported a combined US$1 billion for the quarter ending on June 30 on the back of a 91 percent fall in net revenues. The company statement explained that these losses were “driven by the temporary suspension of the company’s domestic casino operations, continued travel restrictions in Macau, restrictions on the number […]

Hornbuckle confirmed as MGM International president and CEO

MGM International has announced that William Hornbuckle has become the firm’s new president and CEO, effective immediately. He had previously been holding these offices in an acting capacity since March. Hornbuckle succeeds Jim Murren, who first indicated his intention to step down before the expiry of his contract in February. Chairman Paul Salem, who also […]

MGM online unit raises $250m

Roar Digital, a U.S. sports betting and online gaming company, said its shareholders, MGM Resorts and GVC have committed to a second round of investment, bringing the total to $450 million. 

Start-time errors lead to biggest sports book loss in Vegas

Incorrectly entered start times on Korean and Chinese baseball matches lead to a quarter of a million in winning wagers at MGM Resorts over the weekend, in what may be the biggest loss ever in Las Vegas on games that have already started, according to local media reports.

MGM recognized globally and regionally for HR efforts

Casino operator MGM Resorts has announced it has attained seven accolades both regionally and globally in relation to its human resources and talent development efforts. In the first five months of 2020, the company was honored with seven HR awards from four renowned institutions, including the global BEST Award from the Association of Talent Development […]