Macau to focus on recovery, no tax breaks for operators

Macau chief executive Ho Ian Seng says the government is planning to ask Beijing to resume the issuance of travel permits from mainland China to Macau in efforts to foster the recovery of Macau’s integrated tourism and leisure sector.

Ho is set to also negotiate with Guangdong Province on steps for the relaxation of re-entry requirements applicable to Guangdong residents returning to the province after a visit to Macao.

The number of visitors to Macau has plummeted in the first three months of the year, falling 57 percent year-on-year to around 3 million. 

The chief executive made the comments during a 2020 policy address called “Forging Ahead Towards New Horizons” on Monday, where he discussed eight strands of policy – much of it centered around recovery post-COVID-19. 

When asked during a press conference whether the government was planning to reduce the direct gaming tax, the chief executive said there are no plans for reducing the tax.” He also dismissed extending the current gaming concessions past 2022. 

The chief executive said that “everyone” could bid for a gaming concession in Macau in 2022, confirming that none of the current concessions and sub-concessions will be automatically renewed in 2022. 

He said that the government plans to launch a public consultation over the review of Macau’s gaming law in the second half of 2020. 

The chief executive in his address also reiterated concerns over Macau’s over-reliance on gaming. Ho said that the coronavirus had “fully exposed the vulnerability and huge risks of Macau economy’s over-reliance on gaming tourism.”

Ho said the government would support gaming concessionaires and sub-concessionaires in organizing a greater number of cultural and sports events, in order to increase their revenues from non-gaming offerings.

Related Articles

Macau still undecided on extending gaming extensions

Macau Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng said Sunday that the Covid-19 pandemic has further delayed legislative works for revising the local gaming law and extending the current gaming concessions was just one of many options being considered.
Macau legco

Macau diversification debate focuses on finance

Macau Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng reaffirmed in his policy address this week that “promoting an adequate economic diversification” remained a key objective for the government of the Special Administrative Region, and that these efforts would continue.

No HK/Macau travel bubble until fourteen days of no new cases

Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng has stated that the central government will only classify Hong Kong as a Covid-19 low-risk area if no new local cases have been confirmed for fourteen consecutive days, and only if Hong Kong achieves this status could Macao lift its quarantine for its arrivals.
Ho Iat Seng

Macau gaming law revision not likely until late 2021

Consolidation of the bases and advancement in adversity was the thrust of Macau Chief Executive’s policy address for 2021, though it gave little away when it came to the current pillar of the economy - the gaming industry. 

No effort in creating travel bubbles, Macau Chief Executive

Macau Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng said on Saturday that so far there had been no attempt at creating travel bubbles between Macau and any other jurisdiction. He added that there might be the risk of a severe negative impact on Macau were it to open to visitors from foreign countries.