Macau operators discuss typhoon contingency plans with DICJ

Macau’s six concessionaires met with the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau earlier this week to coordinate measures ahead of the peak typhoon season, starting July.

In a statement after the meeting, DICJ officials said the event served to discuss contingency plans that would be enforced.

The local regulator acknowledged that the large number of tourists and workers at integrated resorts in the city are important factors in the event of a severe storm.

In 2017, typhoon Hato, a category 10 typhoon wreaked havoc across Asia, leading to the temporary closure of several casinos due to flooding.

In 2018, the DICJ enacted a total shut down of casinos ahead of Typhoon Mangkut, which struck in September. It was the first time that Macau has shut down gambling operations since the concessions were first given out in 2002.

The DICJ has reminded operators to conduct a regular assessment of their venues’ emergency plans.

SHARE
Previous articleQuezon City pushes gambling ordinance for final approval
Next articleCasinos are important for tourism: Goa CM

Related Articles

VIP baccarat accounts for 48% of Macau Q3 GGR

VIP baccarat revenue was up 51 percent quarter-on-quarter and made up almost 48 percent of the revenue for the quarter, while mass market revenue jumped 77 percent from Q2, accounting for 38 percent overall, according to government figures.

Adriano Ho moves into DICJ role on June 10

The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau’s incoming director, Adriano Ho, is set to officially take office on June 10, according to local reports citing Macau secretary for Economy and Finance Lei Wai Nong. Last week it was reported that Adriano Ho would be taking over the role of DICJ director from Paulo Martins Chan, who […]

Paulo Martins Chan to step down as DICJ boss

Paulo Martins Chan will be stepping down from his position as the head of the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau in June, to be replaced by Adriano Marques Ho, an advisor to Secretary for Security Wong Sio Chak, according to a report from Macau News Agency.  Sources told MNA that Chan will return to the […]

DICJ asks operators to reinforce preventative measures

The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) has asked its local gaming operators to reinforce preventive measures in their casinos, amid the outbreak of the coronavirus in Mainland China, local media reports.  According to Chinese authorities, the death toll from the new virus rose to six, with 258 confirmed cases recorded so far.  The Macau […]

VIP gaming revenue down 23.1% in 19Q4: DICJ

VIP gaming revenue’s share of Macau gross gaming revenue decreased year-on-year in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to data released by the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau.  VIP gaming revenue, represented by VIP baccarat, fell 23.1 percent year-on-year to MOP32.3 billion (US$4 billion), with the year-on-year not as far as analysts had been expecting.  […]

Govt to ignore gaming equipment reversion clause

The Macau government is set to ignore a clause in the concession contract of SJM and MGM, which requires the companies to hand over casino and gaming equipment to the government in March next year. According to a report from Gambling Compliance, under the concession contract, each of Macau’s concessionaires is required to ‘automatically revert’ […]

Illegal online gambling difficult to eradicate: Chan

The director of the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau said it is difficult for authorities to “completely eradicate” illegal online gambling operators, as servers are usually hosted outside its jurisdiction and target gamblers from mainland China, Macau Business reports.  “What we can is to do propaganda to raise awareness and inform that it is illegal… […]