Macau’s casino operators have been seen contributing to relief efforts following Typhoon Hato, which battered the gaming hub last week.
MGM China Holdings have pledged MOP 30 million (US$3.7 million) to rebuild Macau following Typhoon Hato.
The distribution of the pledge will be decided in the coming days and months with guidance from the Macau government based on where the greatest need is.
“The staff of MGM MACAU has been exceptional, contributing their time and efforts in the face of this challenge. We stand ready to utilize our resources in any manner we can for a swift and sustainable recovery of our local community,” said Ms. Pansy Ho, co-chairperson & executive director of MGM China Holdings Ltd.
Mr. Jim Murren, chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts International and chairperson and executive director of MGM China Holdings Ltd, said, “My condolences to the people of Macau on behalf of the entire MGM family. Our company has experienced and overcome similar challenges in the past and I pledge the resources of the entire MGM family to work for a complete recovery. From our experience this will take time, but MGM will be there all the way with the government and people of Macau.”
Sands China on the other hand, responded to the aftermath of Typhoon Hato with a series of relief efforts aimed at team members and the wider community.
At its properties, the company immediately distributed 10,000 bottles of water to team members whose families were in need of clean drinking water due to water outages after the storm. Shower rooms are also being provided for team members at various locations throughout the company’s properties for team members in need of them.
Additional break times have been allotted for team members, and rest areas have been set up in air-conditioned function rooms at all properties, equipped with a total of 1,000 rollaway beds for team members unable to return home between breaks or before and after shifts. For team members who feel unsafe staying at their own homes because of extensive storm damage, temporary accommodation has been provided at Sands China properties. And the team member shuttle service, dining rooms and health clinic are back in normal operation.
And with a second typhoon having made landfall Sunday, The Venetian Macao’s Cotai Expo Hall D and the Sands Theatre at Sands Macao have been set up as shelters for team members and their immediate families who feel their homes are not safe enough to weather a second storm.
“As a company with its roots here, we care deeply about our team members and feel a responsibility to provide them with assistance during this time,” said Dr. Wilfred Wong, president of Sands China Ltd. “Our hearts go out to all the people of Macao during this period of recovery. We understand the difficulties we are all facing as members of the same community, and it’s been very moving to see people from all walks of life coming together to clean up and support one another. The people of Macao have strong and resilient spirits and we are proud to be a part of this wonderful community.”
To help alleviate the widespread damage throughout the city, more than 100 volunteers from the Sands China Care Ambassador programme helped clean up debris in the streets Saturday. They then headed to Fai Chi Kei public housing to distribute bottled water, meal boxes and cleaning kits to families in need at two blocks of Fai Tat building, whose residents are currently without water and elevator service in the 28-floor development.
Melco Resorts has ordered a construction halt at its Morpheus construction site. The company has also set up a MOP 30 million cash fund to assist those in need, while a 2,500-strong task force of Melco volunteers and construction workers has been formed to help clear debris, distribute bottled water and support the immediate needs of the general public.
“This is the worst typhoon Macau has seen in over half a century. Melco and I personally are 100 percent committed to sharing our collective resources to help the city and its people arrive at a swift and total restoration of order, including our own employees,” said Melco chairman and CEO Lawrence Ho.
All events at Melco properties have a;sp been cancelled through the weekend so that employees can continue to support the clean-up.
Dr Lui Che Woo, chairman of Galaxy Entertainment Group has pledged a MOP 60 million contribution from the GEG Foundation and the Lui family to support relief efforts of the people of Macau as well as their team members.
“Our teams at Galaxy Macau, StarWorld and Broadway are contributing to the relief efforts in a variety of ways ranging from substantial donations of goods and services including food, water and trucks for debris removal to a number of team members volunteering to help Macau in areas of need from clean up efforts to delivering food and water to the elderly,” he said.
“We greatly appreciate every single person who has contributed their time and effort to help during such a difficult time. However, I would like to express my sincere condolences to the family and friends of the people who perished and the citizens who sustained injury as a result of the devastating destruction brought by the two typhoons plus so many who have suffered.”
Last week, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) from the Macau Garrison was also called in to assist with relief efforts.
The Government also announced the cancellation, with effect from Saturday, of a number of Government-organised festive, cultural, recreational and exchange-related activities, in order to concentrate resources to handle the aftermath of Typhoon Hato.