The opening of the HKZM bridge led to a 15.3 percent increase in visitors to Macau in November, reaching 3.3 million, according to data from the Statistics and Census Service.
The bridge, which opened on October 24, saw a total of 436,660 people travel to Macau in the month. Meanwhile visitors arriving by sea fell 33.7 percent year-on-year in the same month.
The data also shows a considerable jump in day-trippers – up 27 percent year-on-year, while overnight visitors also increased 5.1 percent year-on-year.
Last week, Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes said the increase in visitor arrivals could be attributed to people wanting the experience of crossing the new bridge, rather than any local tourism offerings.
The November arrival numbers brought total visitation for the first 11 months of the year to 32.2 million, up 9.1 percent year-on-year.
Earlier, Fernandes said she expected total visitor arrivals for the full-year 2018 to reach 35 million.