Macau chief executive Fernando Chui Sai On has confirmed the government will launch a public tendering for gaming licenses prior to the current expiry of 2022.
The chief executive reportedly made the remarks during a Legislative Assembly meeting on Thursday but did not give any timeline.
In a note on Tuesday, Bernstein analysts said the criteria for the concessions would likely include commitments on non-gaming offerings, improved labor rights or working conditions for the employees, along with others.
Last month, the Macau government extended the licenses of SJM and MGM to June 26, 2022, following requests from both operators.
According to a statement, the government made the decision to extend the licenses in order to assist its work relating to a new public tender process for Macau’s gaming concessions.
“The extension granted to the two companies was also deemed helpful for the maintenance of social stability, particularly the stability of the job market,” Mr. Leong said.
In return for the extension of their license, both SJM and MGM have been required to pay the government a one-off amount of MOP 200 million (US$24.7 million).