Duterte vows to ban online gambling

Hours after he took his oath, President Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to put an end to online gambling in the country, local media reports.

“Online gambling must stop… I don’t want the proliferation of gambling in the country,” he said.

Duterte said he will direct PAGCOR chief Andrea Domingo to rescind licenses that have been issued for online gambling “sometime” soon.

“There is no way of government collecting taxes there online. How do you collect taxes there? Not exactly the taxes but I do not want a proliferation of gambling activities all over the country. Mahirap ‘yan,” he said.

Last month, Duterte said he would realign all earnings of PAGCOR towards health and education. Duterte said health would be one of the top priorities of his administration.

“I will commit all earnings [from] PAGCOR which runs to billions,” he said.

Related Articles

Metro Manila quarantine strengthened and lengthened

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, responding to appeals from frontline medical workers battling Covid-19, has ordered a Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ), the second-strictest designation, to be implemented from August 4 to 18. Duterte had only recently ordered the General Community Quarantine (GCQ) to be extended to August 15, but this was judged to be insufficient […]

Manila general community quarantine extended to August 15

Metro Manila will have no relief from its Covid-19 related general community quarantine until at least August 15, according to a decision made by President Rodrigo Duterte. Metro Manila has been under the general community quarantine designation for about eight weeks, with the initial lockdown having begun on March 15, four-and-a-half months ago. The medical […]

Duterte extends coronavirus lockdown to mid-May

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday announced an extension of the lockdown on metropolitan Manila and parts of Luzon until May 15. The “enhanced community quarantine” will continue to apply to “high-risk” areas, including Metro Manila and 17 provinces in Luzon. However, the government said it would study whether restrictions in some of the affected […]

Duterte considers loosening Luzon lockdown

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday met with health experts and former officials from the Department of Health to receive “critical information” that will help him decide whether to cease the Luzon lockdown or ease it in order to begin business recovery, local media reports. On Sunday, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said that the government could […]