Duterte considers loosening Luzon lockdown

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday met with health experts and former officials from the Department of Health to receive “critical information” that will help him decide whether to cease the Luzon lockdown or ease it in order to begin business recovery, local media reports.

On Sunday, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said that the government could not wait until the entire country reaches zero transmission, “as by then we may have hit the tipping point where it would be extremely difficult to recover from the economic and social devastation.”

The entire island of Luzon has been in lockdown since mid-March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Schools, businesses, including casinos have been shut since then. It is scheduled to end at the end of April. 

Guevarra said the president will decide within the next week whether to extend or loosen the lockdown.