The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) says it is unaware of any irregularities concerning the activities of Suncity Group in Macau, after rumors about the company’s operations surfaced over the weekend.
In comments to Macau News Agency, the DICJ said that “All junket promoters of Macau are subject to stringent monitoring by the DICJ, therefore the Bureau is well aware of the recent online rumors about junket promoter Suncity. So far, the DICJ did not see any irregularities in the operation of Suncity in Macau. Nevertheless, we will continue to pay close attention to the matter to ensure the healthy development of the gaming industry.”
On late Sunday evening, Suncity Group CEO and director Alvin Chau on Sunday released a video vehemently denying all accusations which had been shared by Chinese language media over the weekend.
Chau made a detailed statement on three points in particular – the first being Suncity Group’s alleged funding of Hong Kong rioters, which is called “extremely absurd and unreasonable”.
The company also addressed rumors that law enforcement authorities currently are in possession of customer information of the Suncity VIP Club. Chau emphasized that the group has never received any request from overseas or mainland China requesting customer demand information and that any customer information is subject to Macau’s Personal Data Protection Act.
Finally, Chau addressed rumors that the company has been struggling financially. In the video, Chau disclosed the company’s total fiscal reserve (HK$10.6 billion), with total cash flow in cages in the daily operation of the VIP club at HK$18.6 billion, along with a total deposit of HK$16.5 billion in two Macau banks.