Tabcorp profit falls 58 pct over significant items

Australian gambling operator Tabcorp Holdings on Thursday said its statutory net profit fell more than 50 percent in the first half of the 2018 financial year.

Tabcorp said NPAT and EPS were adversely impacted by significant items after tax of A$57.4 million (US$44.9 million), which comprised of Tatts Group acquisition related costs, Sun Bets onerous contract provision, Sun Bets impairment, Luxbet closure costs, loss on Odyssey divestment, all of which was partially offset by the net gain on the Tatts cash-settled equity swap.

Revenues reached $1.4 billion in the interim period, up 18.7 percent year-on-year.

The company completed its landmark merger with lottery giant Tatts Group late last year. 

The company also saw its TAB business report 3.1 percent turnover growth driven by an uplift in digital turnover and strong customer acquisition.

Its Gaming Services division brought in double-digit earnings growth, while KENO turnover growth reached 3.5 percent in the FY18Q2, with momentum building in digital sales.

“18H1 was an important half for Tabcorp as we completed the combination with Tatts Group, bringing together two highly complementary businesses. The combination positions us well to invest, innovate and compete in a rapidly evolving environment,” said Tabcorp managing director and CEO, David Attenborough.

“The 18H1 financial result reflects a period of reshaping the Tabcorp business for sustainable growth. This includes implementing the combination with Tatts, exiting Luxbet and Odyssey Gaming Services, and our ongoing investments in areas such as our digital capability, customer acquisition and the risk management and compliance framework,” he said.

A dividend of 11 cents per share has been announced for the interim period.

More news from this jurisdiction

AustraliaWednesday, Feb 21, 2018

Australia’s Gaming Technologies Association called on anti-gambling crusader Nick Xenophon’s SA-Best party to withdraw its gaming policy due to two claims that were recently dismissed by a Federal Court.

AustraliaMonday, Feb 19, 2018

Nick Xenophon, an Australian politician and anti-gambling crusader, has modified his previously hardline approach to the pokies industry, backing away from earlier pledges to push for an all out ban in South Australia.

AustraliaTuesday, Feb 06, 2018

The Gaming Technologies Association (GTA) said they “welcomed” the results of the federal court case which accused Aristocrat and Crown of misleading gamblers with deceptive slot machines.

AustraliaMonday, Feb 05, 2018

Accepting and paying out bets in cryptocurrency will soon be banned for operators licensed in the Northern Territory, after the gaming authority released a warning to bookmakers on Friday.

AustraliaSunday, Feb 04, 2018

The Alliance for Gambling Reform is calling for a complete ban on political donations from the gaming industry, after recent disclosures revealed more than A$1.5 million was donated to major political parties in 2016/17.

AustraliaFriday, Feb 02, 2018

The court case against Australian-listed Crown Resorts and slot machine supplier Aristocrat over claims they had given gamblers misleading information about the chances of winning was dismissed in federal court on Friday.

AustraliaTuesday, Jan 30, 2018

A high level of demand for exhibitor space at the Australasian Gaming Expo 2018 has already seen 76 percent of exhibitor space sold, seven months prior to the event opening on August 14.