Police operation nets 65 pct increase in prosecutions

A joint operation between police authorities from Macau, Guangdong and Hong Kong has led to the prosecution of 1,782 people in Macau, Macau Business reports.

The police operation, named ‘Thunderbolt 17’, took place between March 5 and June 10 this year, uncovering a total of 1,293 crimes committed in the period.

The operation this year saw an increase of 65 percent in prosecutions this year, compared to the same operation last year.

Commissioner General, João Augusto da Rosa said the increase was a result of an increased amount of mobilized police officers and more searches conducted.

Inspections were conducted in 816 venues including casinos, saunas, massage parlours, bars, karaoke venues and other entertainment and gaming establishments.

It is understood that 218 loan sharking gaming crime cases were uncovered during the operation, as well as an illegal football betting ring, leading to the arrest of eight Macau residents and 51 Chinese nationals.

“Gaming related crimes have increased, and new strategies to fight this type of crime have been enforced by the PJ and the PSP,” said Rosa.

More news from this jurisdiction

MacauFriday, Jun 23, 2017

Visitor arrivals in Macau rose slightly in the month of May to a total of 2.6 million, along with a healthy rise in overnight visitors, according to the latest data from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC).

MacauFriday, Jun 23, 2017

SUZOHAPP is pleased to announce the appointment of Allen Ko as Vice President OEM – Cash Handling for the Asia Pacific region.

MacauThursday, Jun 22, 2017

Emperor Entertainment Hotel Ltd. saw a jump in profit for the year ended Mar. 31, 2017, attributed to a reduction in exchange loss on Renminbi deposits and fair value changes of investment properties.

MacauThursday, Jun 22, 2017

The 13 Hotel has yet to confirm whether its opening will take place in July, which was previously affirmed by the group.

Hong Kong, MacauThursday, Jun 22, 2017

A total of 346 concrete cube test results have been labelled as “problematic” since the investigation into the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau bridge went underway.

MacauThursday, Jun 22, 2017

Hong Kong-listed Jimei International Entertainment Group Limited has walked away from a deal with a VIP gambling promoter in Macau, according to a company filing to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

MacauWednesday, Jun 21, 2017

The Judiciary Police on Tuesday urged casino operators to prioritize security on the frontlines.