PCSO losing faith in PNP’s gambling crackdown

The Philippines Charity and Sweepstakes Office is planning to cut funding to the Philippine National Police (PNP), because of what they describe as PNP’s ‘anemic’ performance in their campaign against illegal gambling, Manila Bulletin reports.

The PCSO currently gives 2.5 percent of its monthly revenue to the PNP.

PCSO General Manager Alexander Balutan said they were planning to cut the funding by around 50 percent.

“We are already having a discussion that by October this year, we will amend the existing Memorandum of Agreement. We will reduce the 2.5 percent in order for the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the National Bureau of Investigation to also have a share,” said Balutan.

The PNP and PCSO signed a MOA last year, which agrees that that PCSO will give the PNP 2.5 percent of its revenues every month in exchange for aggressive anti-illegal gambling operations across the country.

But Balutan said they are disappointed by the performance of the PNP in cracking down on operators of illegal numbers game in the country.

“Their performance was anemic after the signing last November in the midst of the war against illegal gambling. They had gains and they also made some arrests, but it was not enough”, he said.

“We had a memorandum of agreement, I hope that will not only be on paper. Arrest, charge and jail the illegal gambling financiers and do not focus only on the small fry,” said Balutan.

Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos, a PNP spokesman, however explained that while the police have been busy fighting in an illegal drugs war, they have not ignored their other law enforcement functions including cracking down on illegal gambling operators.

Based on the PNP data from February to July 14, more than 12,000 people have already been arrested in the illegal gambling campaign across the country with some P5 million in bets confiscated.

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesTuesday, Sep 19, 2017

Alliance Global, owner and operator of Resorts World Manila, said it is seeing signs of recovery following the casino attack in June that left 38 people dead.

PhilippinesThursday, Sep 14, 2017

Nearly all of the 45 firms licensed under the Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) scheme will soon be required to renew their licenses should they wish to continue offering online gambling games.

PhilippinesThursday, Sep 14, 2017

GLI Asia-Pacific has become the first independent test laboratory to be accredited by PAGCOR to test and certify online gaming systems operated by holders of POGO licenses.

PhilippinesMonday, Sep 11, 2017

The privatization of casinos operated by Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) may start as early as next year.

PhilippinesSunday, Sep 10, 2017

Melco Resorts and Entertainment (Philippines) Corp. said its board has approved the redemption of up to P8 billion (US$157.2 million) out of the outstanding P15 billion in fixed-rate corporate notes.

PhilippinesFriday, Sep 08, 2017

Former Bureau of Immigration (BI) commissioners Al Argosino and Michael Robles have withdrawn their criminal complaint filed against gaming tycoon Jack Lam.

PhilippinesThursday, Sep 07, 2017

Philippines pop-star turned government worker Esther Margaux "Mocha" Uson is being investigated for performing in casinos despite a prohibition that restricts government employees from entering gaming venues.