No plans for casino yet: QC government

The Quezon City government says they have not received any formal applications for the development of a casino in the city, local media reports.

The 38-member council issued a statement on Tuesday in response to an open letter from “concerned citizens of Quezon City” that was published in newspapers earlier in the week, according to The Inquirer.

The letter, which was addressed to President Rodrigo Duterte and the councilors, said that the opening of a casino would have a negative influence on the youth.

However, the council maintained that there were no plans yet for the development of a casino.

“For the information of the general public, the City Council has not received any application from Bloomberry or any gaming industry operator signifying their intention to establish a casino in Quezon City,” it wrote.

In September, Bloomberry Resorts Corp chairman and founder Enrique Razon said he was pushing ahead with plans for the company’s second casino, in Quezon City.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Razon said construction of the $418 million resort in Manila may start mid-next year and could be finished in 2019.

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesThursday, Feb 22, 2018

Takara Gaming Group said it has reached an accord with Bloomberry Resorts’ Solaire Resort & Casino to provide its digital gaming content on the casino floor.

PhilippinesMonday, Feb 19, 2018

Demand from gaming companies will be a significant driver for Manila’s property market this year, with growth likely to exceed earlier expectations, local media cited Leechui Property Consultants as saying.

Philippines, JapanThursday, Feb 15, 2018

Universal Entertainment Corporation, operator of Okada Manila, recorded a net loss of JPY 13.4 billion for 2017 fiscal year, due mainly to an operating loss from its casino and resorts business.

PhilippinesMonday, Feb 12, 2018

Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) chair Andrea Domingo said she expects income earned from online casinos under the POGO scheme to reach P6 billion in 2018.

PhilippinesWednesday, Feb 07, 2018

Philippine’s gaming regulator has placed a moratorium on new casinos after orders from president Rodrigo Duterte last month.

PhilippinesWednesday, Jan 31, 2018

Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) general manager Alexander Balutan claims he was offered a bribe in September 2016 to hand over full control of the nation’s Small Town Lottery (STL) operations.

PhilippinesMonday, Jan 29, 2018

Bloomberry Resorts Corporation has submitted a bid to purchase 16 hectares of land where Solaire Resort & Casino and its expansion area is located.