MGM China gets 125 tables for MGM Cotai

MGM China Holding’s new Cotai resort, which opens on Jan. 29, has been allocated a total of 125 new tables by the Macau government.

The property will get 100 new live tables at the open, with a further 25 to be added in January next year. It can install about 900 slot machines.

The allocation is lower than that given to Wynn Resorts’ Wynn Palace and Sands China’s Parisian resorts, which were both given 100 on opening in 2016, with permission to add a further 50 on their first anniversary.

None of the new resorts on Cotai have received the table allocation they had asked for, with the government sticking strictly to its policy to cap table number growth at 3 percent a year at least until the end of 2022.

Union Gaming in a note said it ultimately expects MGM Cotai to receive a further 25-table allocation to bring it into line with the other resorts. The timing of the first anniversary is close to the expiry of the company’s license and Union Gaming notes the table allocation is likely to be made once the license issue is resolved.

MGM is expected to transfer some tables from its existing resort MGM Macau.

“In regards to MGM Cotai, we believe that excess table capacity harvested from MGM Macau on the peninsula, in addition to the new tables being allocated by the government, will be enough to achieve current revenue and cash flow forecasts for the company,” it said.

The new resort has a jewellry-box design and cost HK$27 billion property ($3.4 billion) to develop. The company pushed back the launch from the fourth quarter of last year due to construction delays caused by Typhoon Hato.

More news from this jurisdiction

MacauThursday, Feb 22, 2018

Macau emerged as a major winner in the latest edition of the Forbes Travel Guide, with the highest number of five-star hotels, restaurants and spas.

MacauTuesday, Feb 20, 2018

Gross gambling revenue over the Chinese New Year period was disappointing, despite higher visitation to Macau, according to Bernstein analysis.

MacauThursday, Feb 15, 2018

Macau Legend Development says it expects to record an 85 percent increase in net loss for the year ended December 31, 2017, attributed to depreciation, financial and impairment costs.

MacauThursday, Feb 15, 2018

MGM China has announced the resignation of Mr. Kenneth A. Rosevear as a non-executive director of the company, effective February 14.

MacauWednesday, Feb 14, 2018

Melco has announced the payment of a one-month discretionary bonus to all eligible non-management employees, as well as a salary increase of 2.5 percent to 8.1 percent.​

MacauWednesday, Feb 14, 2018

Macau junket operator Rich Goldman saw its 17H2 profit fall 38 percent to HK$24.7 million (US$31.6 million), impacted by a significant drop in revenue from its gaming business.

MacauTuesday, Feb 13, 2018

Studio City, operated by Melco Resorts & Entertainment, today announced that it has been granted an extension of the development period under the Studio City land concession contract.