Melco heightens security at PH casino

City of Dreams Manila operator Melco Resorts and Entertainment (Philippines) Corp. says it has beefed up security following the June 2 casino attack at Resorts World Manila, local media reports.  

“Following the incident at Resorts World Manila, we are on heightened alert. [We have] augmented security personnel further and received additional support from local law enforcement,” said the Philippines casino operator.

“For the safety of our guests and colleagues which is our paramount concern at all times, strict security measures are implemented around and in our property. We have security presence at every entrance that is also supplemented with metal detectors, X-ray machines and canine support,” it added.

The operator said it was conducting pat downs, bag checks and car inspections, and said there would be armed guards at the perimeter of the property, inside the garage, and near or inside entryways.

“With our collective efforts, we hope we can all get back to making the Philippines one that its citizens can be proud of and a destination that tourists are fond of,” said Melco.

Earlier this month, Bloomberry Resorts chairman Enrique Razon Jr. noted that the Solaire Resort and Casino is one of the most security conscious gaming properties in the country.

“Our security measures are quite stringent already,” said Razon. “We started beefing up our security measures after the Davao bombing last year, and then we increased the security level when the Marawi incident started. We’re already very tight.”

“[The issue of safety] is extremely sensitive, because it’s a hospitality business,” he said. “You have a hotel, and you have food and beverage outlets, so people have to feel safe. We have to make sure people feel safe when they’re on the property, or in the country for that matter.”

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesFriday, Jun 23, 2017

Gaming regulator Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corp. (Pagcor) has indicated that it intends to lift the suspension on Resorts World Manila’s gaming license soon.

PhilippinesMonday, Jun 19, 2017

Securities and Exchange Commission chairperson Teresita Herbosa says the current P5 million (US$100,000) threshold for casinos should be lowered to cover more suspicious transactions.

PhilippinesMonday, Jun 19, 2017

Philippines is set to emerge as the largest entertainment market in ASEAN - surpassing that of Singapore due to favorable policies and infrastructure development, says Morgan Stanley.

PhilippinesTuesday, Jun 13, 2017

The operator of Resorts World Manila on Tuesday said it will exert all efforts to “preserve and defend” the company’s provisional license, following the Pagcor announcement last Friday.

PhilippinesTuesday, Jun 13, 2017

A proposed conversion of TSCLK Complex convertible bonds, owned by NagaCorp CEO Dr. Chen Lip Keong, would take his ownership to above 50 percent, up from his current 39 percent, said Union Gaming in a note on Monday.

PhilippinesMonday, Jun 12, 2017

Junket operator SunCity Group has drawn the attention of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) after it took over the casino at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza without permission.

PhilippinesSunday, Jun 11, 2017

Hong Kong listed Landing International Development Limited says it is no longer pursuing the potential acquisition of a company engaged in gaming business in the Philippines.