Error message

  • Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in template_preprocess_imageblock_content() (line 349 of /home/agbrief/agb/sites/all/modules/imageblock/imageblock.module).
  • Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in template_preprocess_imageblock_content() (line 349 of /home/agbrief/agb/sites/all/modules/imageblock/imageblock.module).

Manila police prepare to file charges against RWM

Police authorities in Manila are preparing to file criminal charges against the management of Resorts World and its security agency for the deaths of 37 people during the attack on June 2, The Manila News reports.

Lone gunman Jesse Carlos rampaged the second floor of the casino resort, leading to the  indirect deaths of 13 employees, and 24 guests of Resorts World Manila, who died of smoke inhalation.

“The Supervisory Office for Security and Investigation Agencies will finalize and submit today or tomorrow their findings, which means they are ready to file charges of negligence resulting in multiple homicides,” said Metro Manila Police Director Oscar Albayalde at a forum on Monday.

Albayalde said there was a strong case against RWM, whose security forces had admitted to having abandoned the CCTV monitoring room the whole time that the gunman was rampaging through the property.

“[The] security person admitted that he left the CCTV [room] immediately. He could have seen people on the second floor at the VIP room and they could have been saved. All the 37 died because of suffocation,” he said.

“When the police and firemen arrived, they said they were able to evacuate the 12,000 people present at the time in the casino without knowing that all the 37 people were trapped inside the VIP room,” he added.

Albayalde also said that security personnel failed to pinpoint where the gunman was when police arrived.

Last Thursday, Resorts World Manila was given permission from Pagcor to resume its gaming operations after complying with security and safety requirements set by the regulator.

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesMonday, Jan 15, 2018

A retired military general is set to fill the position left by Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) chairman, Jose Jorge Corpuz, who retired last week.

PhilippinesSunday, Jan 14, 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday held a meeting with the top executives of Melco Resorts and Entertainment.

PhilippinesSunday, Jan 14, 2018

Chairman of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office Jose Jorge Corpuz has resigned from his position as chairman, according to an announcement on Friday.

PhilippinesThursday, Jan 11, 2018

Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) has launched a second auction for two parcels of land occupied by Bloomberry’s Solaire Resort and Casino.

PhilippinesThursday, Jan 11, 2018

Philippine police have rescued a Taiwanese man from a kidnap-for-ransom gang in Paranaque City, local media reports.

PhilippinesMonday, Jan 08, 2018

The Philippines’ national tax think-tank has recommended an increase in the entrance fees required for players to enter casinos in the country, and to make their collection compulsory.

PhilippinesSunday, Jan 07, 2018

Philippine casino operator Travellers International Hotel Group has announced it has formalized an agreement with Hotel Okura Co., Ltd for it to operate a new 191-room hotel at Resorts World Manila.