LRWC says no decision made on Boracay, contradicting tourism officials

Leisure and Resorts World Corp. has denied that it has shelved plans with Galaxy Entertainment for a casino on the island of Boracay, contradicting comments from government tourism officials.

Tourism Assistant Secretary told news reporters at a press conference earlier Tuesday that the two partners would seek alternatives.

"Galaxy has said they are now looking for another venue. That is very much welcome," Tourism Assistant Secretary Frederick Alegre was reported by local media as saying.

The Macau-based gaming company will now have to "repeat" the regulatory procedures.

"They just have to go through the process of accreditation, and securing again a new Pagcor (Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation) provisional authority. The whole process will be repeated," Alegre reportedly said.

However, late Tuesday local media cited the Philippine company as saying that the project has not been abandoned.

"Both parties have not reached any final decision regarding its planned Boracay resort project. Following protocol, no change in plans or project location would be made without prior consultation and agreement with Pagcor," GMA News cited LRWC vice president and corporate secretary Katrina Nepomuceno as saying.

"Contrary to claims that Galaxy has abandoned its planned Boracay project, no such announcement has been made nor communicated with Pagcor," she added.

News outlet Rappler also reported the comments, though the statement has not yet been filed with the Philippine Stock Exchange or on the company website.

Galaxy won a provisional license in March for a $500 million property on the island famed for its white sand beaches. However, shortly afterwards President Rodrigo Duterte announced he was closing the destination to tourism due to concerns about the environment. Uncontrolled development has turned Boracay into a “cesspool,” he said.

The closure is due to take effect later this week for a period of six months to allow for a clean up. Some officials say the shutdown is likely to be for four months.

 

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesThursday, Apr 12, 2018

Bloomberry Resorts Corp, operator of the Solaire Resort & Casino in Manila, announced on Wednesday that it has taken out a P73.5 billion (US$1.4 billion) loan from a syndicate of banks.

PhilippinesThursday, Apr 12, 2018

Boracay Island could see its rehabilitation works complete ahead of schedule, according to the Department of Tourism. 

Macau, PhilippinesThursday, Apr 12, 2018

Proxy betting in Philippines and reporting thresholds in Macau have been identified as AML deficiencies as part of a U.S. government report released last month.

PhilippinesWednesday, Apr 11, 2018

Wally Sombero, the alleged middleman of casino tycoon Jack Lam has surrendered to the Philippine National Police (PNP) for his involvement in a bribery-corruption case connected to the Bureau of immigration.

PhilippinesTuesday, Apr 10, 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte, who earlier this week denied knowledge of plans for a casino on Boracay, in December met with officials from Galaxy Entertainment Group to discuss the project, local media reports.

PhilippinesMonday, Apr 09, 2018

Hong Kong-listed property developer, Landing International Development, said it plans to build an integrated leisure and entertainment resort in Paranaque City in the Philippines.

PhilippinesMonday, Apr 09, 2018

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says he’s opposed to the building of a casino complex on Boracay and vowed to hand over the land to local farmers, local media reports.