Jack Lam’s return offer still available

Junket mogul Jack Lam is yet to show his face in the Philippines after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered his arrest last December.

Lam is in trouble for allegedly offering bribes to Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre and a number of immigration officials in relation to his illegal online gambling operations at Fontana Leisure Park and Casino in Pampanga.

Over the new year, Aguirre has revealed that he was offered  P100 million (US$2 million) per month in order to protect Lam’s online gambling business in the country.

The offer allegedly came up during a meeting between the two in late November, two days after 1,300 illegal Chinese workers were detained at Lam’s Fontana Leisure Park and Casino.

In December, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the arrest of the Jimei chairman for “bribery and economic sabotage,” but the businessman had already left the country by November 29, according to local sources.

While Aguirre has reiterated that Lam will be allowed to return to the Philippines as long as he faces criminal charges and pays taxes, Lam has still yet to respond.

“Before Christmas, feelers have been sent saying Jack Lam wants to return to the Philippines. There has been no progress after that," Aguirre told local reporters on Tuesday.

Aguirre added that Lam would also be required to secure a proper online gambling license, as well as issue a statement promising he will not attempt to corrupt officials if he wished to return, according to local media.

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesFriday, Jun 23, 2017

Gaming regulator Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corp. (Pagcor) has indicated that it intends to lift the suspension on Resorts World Manila’s gaming license soon.

PhilippinesMonday, Jun 19, 2017

Securities and Exchange Commission chairperson Teresita Herbosa says the current P5 million (US$100,000) threshold for casinos should be lowered to cover more suspicious transactions.

PhilippinesMonday, Jun 19, 2017

City of Dreams Manila operator Melco Resorts and Entertainment (Philippines) Corp. says it has beefed up security following the June 2 casino attack at Resorts World Manila.

PhilippinesMonday, Jun 19, 2017

Philippines is set to emerge as the largest entertainment market in ASEAN - surpassing that of Singapore due to favorable policies and infrastructure development, says Morgan Stanley.

PhilippinesTuesday, Jun 13, 2017

The operator of Resorts World Manila on Tuesday said it will exert all efforts to “preserve and defend” the company’s provisional license, following the Pagcor announcement last Friday.

PhilippinesTuesday, Jun 13, 2017

A proposed conversion of TSCLK Complex convertible bonds, owned by NagaCorp CEO Dr. Chen Lip Keong, would take his ownership to above 50 percent, up from his current 39 percent, said Union Gaming in a note on Monday.

PhilippinesMonday, Jun 12, 2017

Junket operator SunCity Group has drawn the attention of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) after it took over the casino at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza without permission.