Former BI officials drop complaint against Lam

Former Bureau of Immigration (BI) commissioners Al Argosino and Michael Robles have withdrawn their criminal complaint filed against gaming tycoon Jack Lam, local media reports.

Last week, Lam's lawyer Raymond Fortun, forwarded the first page of Argosino and Robles' verified joint motion to withdraw their complaint, which had accused Lam of corruption of public officers and violation of the anti-wiretapping law.

Last year, Argosino and Robles were accused of extorting P50 million from Lam in exchange for the release of more than 1,000 illegal Chinese workers working at Fontana Leisure Parks and Casino in Pampanga.

The two alleged that Lam had bribed them at the time, and had taken the money as evidence. The two however, were dismissed over the scandal.

In the latest letter to Lam’s lawyer, Argosino and Robles said they would withdraw the complaint as the “parties to the instant complaint executed affidavits of recantation and clarification which materially affect the instance case."

"Review of the affidavits would show that the instant complaint was likewise based on mistaken assumption or interpretation of facts and circumstances," they said.

Argosino and Robles added that they have "decided to refrain from pursuing the instant case, now and in the future."

While Lam is now off the hook for this particular matter, he still faces a pending complaint filed by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)  in January.

The complaint is for direct bribery, graft, and violation of Presidential Decree No. 46, which prohibits public officials from receiving gifts and also prohibits private persons from giving them.

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesTuesday, Nov 14, 2017

Bloomberry Resorts would see its debt levels rise and a reduction in return on invested capital in the short term if it buys the land on which its Solaire Resort & Casino is based, though longer term it may improve valuations, according to Morgan Stanley.

PhilippinesMonday, Nov 13, 2017

The owners of Resorts World Manila is planning to introduce the country’s first Ritz Carlton Hotel by redeveloping its Maxims Hotel, local media reports.

PhilippinesMonday, Nov 13, 2017

The Asian Poker Tour (APT) has announced it has signed a new three-year exclusive agreement to run its tournaments at Resorts World Manila.

PhilippinesSunday, Nov 12, 2017

The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) is launching an auction for two parcels of land currently occupied by Bloomberry’s Solaire Resort and Casino.

PhilippinesSunday, Nov 12, 2017

Philippines-listed Travellers International, operator of Resorts World Manila, reported a loss of P407.9 million for the third quarter of 2017.

PhilippinesFriday, Nov 10, 2017

Bloomberry Resorts Corporation (BLOOM PM), owner and operator of the Solaire Resort & Casino and Jeju Sun Hotel & Casino, posted record Q3 mass table drop and gross gambling revenue from electronic gaming machines, while VIP volumes slipped.

PhilippinesThursday, Nov 09, 2017

Universal Entertainment Corp has announced its plans to start operating its all-weather beach club, nightclub and space, Cove Manila, starting in December.