Duterte sets sights on illegal online gambling operations

President Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to close all online gambling operations in the Philippines, saying they have no positive effects on the economy, local media reports.

“I am ordering the closure of all online gaming. All of it. It has no use,” Duterte said while announcing the 2017 budget.

The Philippines does not benefit from online gaming outlets, he added.

He gave no further details on the ban or its scope.

According to the Inquirer, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said he was recently ordered to look into online gambling firms.

Malacañang is drafting the order to define the scope of his authority to investigate online gambling, Aguirre told reporters.

The closure of the firms would be based on the results of the online gambling probe.

In his speech, Duterte said his new directive was related to the recent scandal involving gambling tycoon Jack Lam, who owns the Fontana Leisure Parks and Casino in Clark, Pampanga where 1,316 undocumented Chinese workers were apprehended by Bureau of Immigration operatives in November.

However, the online gambling ban will not have any affect on PAGCOR’s POGO licensed operators, according to PAGCOR’s Andrea Domingo, quoted by Calvin Ayre.

Domingo said the government would be issuing further details on Duterte’s desire to stamp out unauthorized online gambling, and confirmed that only operators that have received PAGCOR’s blessing would be allowed to continue providing online gambling services.

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesThursday, Apr 27, 2017

State-run Philippine gaming regulator Pagcor posted a 26.9 percent increase in net income for the first three months of 2017.

PhilippinesWednesday, Apr 26, 2017

Philippine casino investor Belle Corp. has reconfirmed the comments made by vice chairman Willy Ocier surrounding its plans to expand its City of Dreams Manila project.

PhilippinesTuesday, Apr 25, 2017

Melco Crown’s Philippines subsidiary has backed away from comments made by Belle Corp’s chairman regarding expansion plans for City of Dreams Manila.

PhilippinesTuesday, Apr 25, 2017

MJC Investments Corp. officially opened its P8 billion (US$160.6 million) Winford Hotel and Casino on Friday last week.

PhilippinesMonday, Apr 24, 2017

The Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) has made the decision to no longer allow online gaming firms to operate in any of its accredited sites across the country.

PhilippinesTuesday, Apr 18, 2017

Philippine-listed Leisure and Resorts World Corp (LRWC) posted a 2.4 percent rise in its consolidated net income for the full-year 2016 to P1.1 billion, according to a filing from the company on Tuesday.

PhilippinesTuesday, Apr 18, 2017

The Supreme Court has dropped all civil cases linked to the dispute between DFNN Inc and the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) over the “illegal” rescission of its lotto equipment leasing deal.