Duterte nixes Boracay casino project

Macau-based Galaxy Entertainment will not be able to build its planned $500 million integrated resort on the Philippine island of Boracay, local media reported a spokesman for President Rodrigo Duterte as saying.

“There will be no new casino in Boracay,” Harry Roque said in a news conference in Hong Kong that was aired on local television in Manila.

Galaxy teamed up with local firm Leisure and Resorts World Corp. on a project to build what they said would be a low-rise eco-friendly resort on the island, which is famed for its white sand beaches.

They received a provisional license from the Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corp. in May.

However, Duterte has since ordered the island be shut down to tourism for six months due to concerns about the damage to the local environment.

Stock in Leisure and Resorts World plunged more than 10 percent on Tuesday after comments by Duterte that cast doubt over the Boracay project. Clarification that the resort will not be built on the island came after the close of the stock market on Wednesday.

However, Roque said that did not mean that Galaxy wasn't allowed to develop an IR at all. 

“They could have a provisional license. If they can’t build in Boracay, perhaps they could build elsewhere. That’s why I’m not saying unequivocally about the status of the Galaxy contract,” Roque said.

The spokesperson reiterated that the President is only abiding by the Supreme Court decision which declares Boracay as a state-owned agricultural and forestal land.

“I can address the issue of the license because that just means maybe they could open shop elsewhere. But I do not know,” he added.

“Perhaps the license, if there is any at all, I do not know how this will be resolved. But as far as Boracay is concerned, he wants the people to benefit from Boracay,” he said.

On Wednesday, Pagcor justified its issuance of a license to Galaxy, stressing that it was only provisional.

 “The provisional license is only the start of a very long and tedious process of compliance that every integrated-resort operator must go through before they can be issued by Pagcor a Notice to Commence Casino Operations and eventually, a regular casino gaming license,” Pagcor said in a statement.

More news from this jurisdiction

PhilippinesThursday, Apr 12, 2018

Bloomberry Resorts Corp, operator of the Solaire Resort & Casino in Manila, announced on Wednesday that it has taken out a P73.5 billion (US$1.4 billion) loan from a syndicate of banks.

PhilippinesThursday, Apr 12, 2018

Boracay Island could see its rehabilitation works complete ahead of schedule, according to the Department of Tourism. 

Macau, PhilippinesThursday, Apr 12, 2018

Proxy betting in Philippines and reporting thresholds in Macau have been identified as AML deficiencies as part of a U.S. government report released last month.

PhilippinesWednesday, Apr 11, 2018

Wally Sombero, the alleged middleman of casino tycoon Jack Lam has surrendered to the Philippine National Police (PNP) for his involvement in a bribery-corruption case connected to the Bureau of immigration.

PhilippinesTuesday, Apr 10, 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte, who earlier this week denied knowledge of plans for a casino on Boracay, in December met with officials from Galaxy Entertainment Group to discuss the project, local media reports.

PhilippinesMonday, Apr 09, 2018

Hong Kong-listed property developer, Landing International Development, said it plans to build an integrated leisure and entertainment resort in Paranaque City in the Philippines.

PhilippinesMonday, Apr 09, 2018

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says he’s opposed to the building of a casino complex on Boracay and vowed to hand over the land to local farmers, local media reports.