China Welfare Lottery officials suspected of corruption

Two officials previously in charge of China’s state lottery have been stripped of their positions under suspicion of bribery and corruption, reports Reuters.

Former head of the China Welfare Lottery Management Center, Bao Xuequan, and his former deputy, Wang Yunge are suspected of using their position to seek material benefits, accept gifts and have “improper sexual relations”.

Wang is additionally accused of leaking state secrets, according to an investigation by the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI).

The Ministry of Civil Affairs, which runs the Welfare Lottery, have removed both officials from their positions and their party.

Both cases will be handled by the judicial authorities, said the CCDI.

More news from this jurisdiction

Mainland ChinaWednesday, Nov 15, 2017

Chinese lottery supplier 500.com recorded a net loss of RMB 72.2 million ($10.9 million) in the third quarter of 2017, with the temporary suspension of online lottery sales continuing to weigh.

Elsewhere, Mainland ChinaWednesday, Nov 15, 2017

The year 2024 may mark the first time esports is recognized as an Olympic Games medal event, says esports experts.

Mainland ChinaSunday, Nov 12, 2017

AGTech Holdings reported strong revenue growth for the third quarter of 2017, driven by its new Gaming and Entertainment division launched earlier this year.

Mainland ChinaTuesday, Nov 07, 2017

Chinese tourists will soon find it near impossible to join domestic tours that involve gambling, sex or drugs under new regulations from the Chinese National Tourism Administration.

Mainland ChinaWednesday, Nov 01, 2017

Lottery sales in Mainland China increased by 15.1 percent year-on-year to approximately RMB36.9 billion (US$5.6 billion) in September.

Mainland ChinaWednesday, Nov 01, 2017

Mainland Chinese lottery supplier 500.com Ltd has announced the stepping down of its chairman, Mr. Lian Qi, effective November 1, 2017.

Mainland ChinaThursday, Oct 26, 2017

The Hainan government has put a temporary block on private investors registering companies in the online gambling business.