Bridge probe uncovers abnormal test results

A total of 346 concrete cube test results have been labelled as “problematic” since the investigation into the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau bridge went underway, SCMP reports.

Last month, government-appointed contractor Jacobs China came under fire after 21 people were arrested for the falsification of test results relating to the construction of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge.

The investigation conducted by the Hong Kong Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) raised “serious safety concerns” over the multi-million dollar bridge, with the government launching an investigation into whether there would be any safety implications for the bridge.

One expert (quoted by SCMP) warned that in the worst-case scenario, the bridge might even have to be rebuilt.

While the test results were “problematic”, the strength of the concrete still complied with professional requirements, said the Civil Engineering and Development Department.

The results have been submitted to the Highways Department, and will be passed on to the contractors to determine the structural locations corresponding to the test results.

More news from this jurisdiction

Macau, Hong Kong, Mainland ChinaSunday, Feb 12, 2017

The bridge connecting Hong Kong, Zhuhai and Macau is expected to complete by the end of 2017, said Hong Kong’s Secretary for Transport and Housing.

Macau, Hong KongSunday, Feb 12, 2017

The Macau government says it is “exploring further cooperation opportunities” in regards to tourism with Hong Kong, according to a report from the government news bureau.

Hong Kong, MacauThursday, Sep 22, 2016

Hong Kong-listed Sun Century Group Ltd is seeking to raise ‘not less than approximately HK$901.4 million ($116.2 million) via a rights issue.

Hong Kong, MacauTuesday, Mar 01, 2016

Hong Kong-listed Neptune Group, reported a net loss of HK$257 million (US$33.1 million) for the six months ended Dec. 31, 2015, compared to a net profit of HK$130.9 million in 2014, according to an interim report.

Macau, Hong KongTuesday, Feb 23, 2016

Junket investor Jimei International Entertainment Group has announced the resignation of Wong Kwok Leung, who served as chief executive officer and executive director, according to a filing to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

Hong Kong, MacauTuesday, Dec 15, 2015

Amax International said it plans to raise HK$15.19 million ($1.95 million) net through a share placement to raise funds for working capital and investment.

South Korea, Macau, Hong KongWednesday, Jun 10, 2015

Hong Kong has issued a travel warning to its citizens against travelling to South Korea amid an outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, while Macau travel agencies have canceled all package tours scheduled for this month.