April’s DDOS attacks were aimed at gaming sites

A sudden spike in DDOS attacks against gaming and gambling sites in Hong Kong last month is believed to be an extortion attempt, International Business Times reports.

On April 6, an unusual influx of traffic from China started pouring into the country’s websites, lasting until around April 13.

According to Arbor Networks’ Kirk Soluk, manager of the Threat Intelligence and Response team, the attack was likely an attempted extortion attack, which are designed to take a target website offline until they pay to make it stop.

A total of 29 online gambling and gaming sites were hit in the attacks, but it is not known who carried out the attacks.

“Gambling sites and gaming sites that have a financial component are a particularly attractive target, due to the money the sites stand to lose if they are not available” said Soluk.

More news from this jurisdiction

Hong KongMonday, Jul 17, 2017

Hong Kong’s 2016/17 season came to an end on Sunday, with the Hong Kong Jockey Club reporting record turnover of HK$117.5 billion (US$15.1 billion) for the season, up 10.7 percent year-on-year.

Japan, Hong KongMonday, Jul 03, 2017

Japanese gaming mogul Kazuo Okada has reportedly filed a lawsuit against his son, daughter and wife in an attempt to regain control of Okada Holdings Ltd.

Hong KongSunday, Jun 25, 2017

Macau gambling magnate Stanley Ho has stepped down as executive chairman of Hong Kong conglomerate Shun Tak Holdings Ltd, with daughter Pansy Ho taking up the position.

Hong Kong, MacauThursday, Jun 22, 2017

A total of 346 concrete cube test results have been labelled as “problematic” since the investigation into the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau bridge went underway.

Hong KongFriday, Jun 16, 2017

Landing International Ltd. owner Yang Zhihui on Wednesday acquired an additional 5.26 percent stake in Landing International Development, increasing his stake to 51.41 percent.

Hong KongThursday, Jun 01, 2017

Rexlot Holdings says its shareholder Keen Start has received tenders for 75.01 percent of its 2016 bonds and 75.05 percent of its 2019 bonds under a tender offer.

Hong KongThursday, Jun 01, 2017

Neptune Group, an investor in junkets in Macau, has asked for its shares to be suspended from trading on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange from June 1st.